For each area, score 5 points for exceeding expectations, 4 points for meeting all expectations, 3 points for meeting some expectations, 2 points for meeting few expectations, 1 point for meeting minimal expectations.
- Purpose & Supporting Details
- The paper compares and contrasts items clearly.
- The paper points to specific examples to illustrate the comparison.
- The paper includes only the information relevant to the comparison.
- Organization & Structure
- The paper breaks the information into the whole-to-whole, similarities to-differences, or point by-point structure.
- The paper follows a consistent order when discussing the comparison.
- The paper breaks the information into appropriate sections or paragraphs to the ideas.
- Transitions & Coherence
- The paper moves smoothly from one idea to the next.
- The paper uses comparison and contrast transition words to show relationships between ideas.
- The paper uses a variety of sentence structures and transitions.
- The paper shows correct grammar and usage.
- The paper follows the rules for punctuation.
- The paper includes words that are spelled correctly.
- The paper contains quotes from stories to back up points (at least 3).
- Quotations are correctly formatted according to MLA guidelines.
- Works cited page is present and correctly.
formatted (should have entries for stories quoted)
25 points possible. MULTIPLY total by 4 and record on your grading sheet.
Adapted from a Georgia Virtual Learning rubric pdf