(Adapted from a Georgia Virtual Learning rubric)
- Opening paragraph (Maximum 4 points)
- 4 points – Captures reader’s attention from the first paragraph without giving away too much
- 3 points – Gets reader’s attention in first paragraph, but hints too much about the story
- 2 points – Lacks tension to necessary to capture reader’s attention and
gives away too much of the story
- 1 point – Has no creative tension to capture the reader and gives away the point of the story
- Writing (Maximum 4 points)
- 4 points – Used creative and original ideas to create an interesting and unique story. Showed a clear desire involving conflict on reaching that desire.
- 3 points – Had some creative and original ideas with the start of an interesting story. Had a desire with some conflict reaching the desire
- 2 points – Had little creative ideas in the story. Unclear desire and little conflict
to make an interesting story.
- 1 point – Very little to no creative or original ideas. No real desire with very little to no conflict within the story.
- Word Choice (Maximum 4 points)
- 4 points – Strong vocabulary using description in writing and word choice. Dialogue is stated clearly to who is talking to whom. Story is clear and easy to read.
- 3 points – Some strong vocabulary showing description through word choice. Dialogue is a little difficult to understand. Story is easy to read with some confusing areas
- 2 points – Not a very strong use of vocabulary words. Tells description rather than showing it. Dialogue is confusing to the reader. Story is a
little difficult to understand.
- 1 point – Little to no strength in vocabulary. Little to no description in writing. Story is very confusing.
- Spelling, Grammar, Punctuation (Maximum 4 points)
- 4 points – Little or no spelling, grammar, or punctuation errors.
- 3 points – 5-7 spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors.
- 2 points – 8-10 spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors.
- 1 point – 11+ spelling, grammar, and punctuation errors. Dialogue is very confusing
- Suspense, Irony, Foreshadowing (Maximum 4 points)
- 4 points – Utilizes all three literary devices
- 3 points – Utilizes two of these literary devices
- 2 points – 8-10 Utilizes one of these literary devices
- 1 point – Does not utilize these literary devices