Use this rubric to score the Creative Writing Assignment.
Total maximum points for this assignment is 50.
(Maximum points = 20)
- 4 points: a well developed plot, characters, setting; 2 points: an identifiable plot, characters, setting; 0 points: lack of plot, undeveloped characters, or inconsistent setting
- 4 points: thorough development of story that makes sense and contributes to the purpose; 0 points: a story that does not make sense or lacks overall purpose
- 4 points: an original and creative plot line; 2 points: a plot line that is not original; 0 points: no discernible plot line or purpose
- 4 points: excellent use of literary devices (for example: symbolism and foreshadowing); 2 points: some use of literary devices; 0 points: no literary devices utilized
- 4 points: conclusion provides closure and fits the story; 2 points: conclusion does not fit the story or does not provide closure; 0 point: no real conclusion to the story
(Maximum points = 15)
- 5 points: utilizing vivid descriptive details, 3 points: some details, 1 point: lack of details
- 5 points: consistent personal voice/point of view throughout, 3 points: some development of voice, 1 point: lack of voice or point of view
- 5 points: excellent variation in style, diction, and tone; 3 points: some variation; 1 point: no variation
Word Choice and Sentence Structure
(Maximum points = 10)
- 3 points: interesting and appropriate word choice; 1 point: no consideration given to word choice
- 4 points: smooth and understandable sentences and excellent variation in sentence structures; 2 points: some variation in sentence structure, sentences mostly flow well; 1 point: no variation in sentence structure, sentences are unclear and confusing
- 3 points: dialogue fits the characters and situation, contributes to the story; 2 points: little use of dialogue or dialogue does not fit characters/situation; 1 point: no use of dialogue.
(Maximum points = 5)
- 2 points: no spelling errors
- 2 points: correct punctuation usage, uses variety of punctuation
- 1 point: published in acceptable font and size; double spaced