The Key

The Oscar winner for Best Original Song went to a guy who thanked his mother for letting him quit soccer to be in a musical. He dedicated his win to all the kids who sing in the rain and to all the moms who let them.

I’ve written before about passion and how EP frees my kids up to spend time on their passions. That’s what has been important to me, giving my kids a good foundation and then letting them build on it, their own way.

I know it’s hard to let your kids play and explore and create and have fun when you hear about how “rigorous” this and that curriculum or program is. “Rigorous” seems to be a big buzzword in homeschool circles these days. I’d rather have joy and peace than rigor in my homeschool day.

My oldest is going off to college this fall. She’s my first “proof of concept.” She has always done school the “easy” way. School before Easy Peasy was even easier for us. Easy Peasy was actually a longer, more involved school day than what we did before. My daughter is an EP kid; she was using it before anyone outside of our family knew it existed.

My kids did all the EP lessons when they were younger, but as I’ve gotten kids into high school, I’ve let them take more of a lead on their direction. I let my daughter spend as much time on her art as she liked. As she got really focused on art, I didn’t stress over her math and science that she didn’t like. We just moved along in math at her own pace. I wanted her to learn, not just get through. For two years of high school science I let her choose her subject. She did anatomy one year and spent the year drawing muscles and bones and labeling them. The next year she studied light. She researched it and wrote a big paper on it. Light was something she was focused on in her artwork that year. She likes history and English, so she wanted to continue with the regular EP courses in those subjects through high school.

So what was the outcome? She won a full scholarship to her only-choice school. She believed she knew where she should go to school; I trusted her and let her only apply there.

It can be hard when your child wants to go into the arts or some other field where you know jobs might be hard to come by. It can be tempting to worry and to want them to have all that rigorous education when they really just want to create. If your child is passionate and puts in the time and hard work, then they can get good enough to be one of those ones who get to make a living doing what they love. That Oscar winner used to be just a boy singing in the rain.

My next oldest is starting a video game design company. He’s hoping to launch the alpha version of his first big game this year, as a freshman. He got his first unsolicited job offer at thirteen. I can already see that he can be successful at his passion, what he pours his spare time into.

Is Easy Peasy the key to every child’s future? Of course not. There is a key, though. It’s called the grace of God. He gave my kids their talents and personalities that drove them to the things they love to do. He provided free art lessons for my daughter after I was fussing to Him in prayer about how I couldn’t help her move forward with her art. He inspired the Easy Peasy way of school that gave my kids a great foundation and the hours to invest in their work. He matched my daughter up with a school that not only accepts her but appreciates her.

So when I look at my eleven year old reading or making music and his younger brothers dancing and creating imaginative games, I try to relax. God’s got a plan for their future and it’s a good one.

And a note: EP has high quality courses. There are many high school courses that are based on AP courses. There are courses that use lectures and materials from universities. I’m not saying that EP lacks in “rigor.” I’m saying I’m against rigor for rigor’s sake. There was no need for my daughter to tackle an AP physics course just so I could feel I was giving her a rigorous education. I hope you can see the difference. And, of course, I’m not saying that your kids or all my kids are going to get full scholarships. I’m just saying that I can trust it’s going to all work out okay. I’m putting my faith in God, not in my curriculum, not in rigorous academic standards, not in anything else.

Here’s the article on the same theme that I wrote for the main site.

25 thoughts on “The Key

1. Patricia March 9, 2017 / 6:52 pm

Thank you for the post.

2. Valerie Tindill March 9, 2017 / 7:05 pm

Excellent!

3. Val Clark March 9, 2017 / 7:47 pm

I read some where about a poll of successful people, where more than 90% of them were not in the field they were originally trained for. I think finding Gods plan for our kids lives mixed with a good work ethic are the primary tools needed for success. Thank you for all you do. And encouraging those of us in the early and middle years.

• Easy Peasy All-in-One Homeschool March 10, 2017 / 12:33 am

I wrote a little on how homeschoolers have an advantage in finding their way at this link. https://allinonehomeschool.com/2015/02/03/is-there-joy-in-your-home/

A good work ethic is important to any kind of success. My teens work really, really hard at what they do and put in long hours, but they are willing to do that because it’s what they really want to be doing. I do trust it’s the Lord’s hand that has brought them to where they are now and which will take them to where they are headed.

4. Ginger March 9, 2017 / 7:52 pm

Thank you..oh how I worry…stress ….instead of putting it in Gods hands

5. Cindy Albin March 10, 2017 / 1:29 am

I cannot thank you enough for this post!

6. Tiffany March 10, 2017 / 4:16 pm

Thank you for this and for Easy Peasy!

7. Rebekah March 10, 2017 / 8:53 pm

Great article. I 100% agree & love using EP in the way it fits our families needs.

8. Rebekah March 10, 2017 / 8:54 pm

I’d be interested in your son’s video game. My son would love to see that! Maybe you can send out a link when he has it out there for the public 😉

• Easy Peasy All-in-One Homeschool March 10, 2017 / 9:03 pm

Good idea. 🙂 Actually, it is a good homeschoolers’ game. It’s an exploration game set in the early 1800s. You get to explore the world and create your own map as you go. You can sail, trade, etc.

9. Nicole Peterson March 11, 2017 / 4:25 am

Thank you!

10. Melissa March 11, 2017 / 5:16 am

I would love to know what school your daughter applied to. Her path sounds very similar to my oldest, but we haven’t found a good fit yet. Thank you for writing this article as well! It puts my fears to rest hearing the testimony of another mother willing to put her children into God’s hands! Easy Peasy has been such a boon and blessing to our homeschool journey! With all my gratitude, Melissa

• Easy Peasy All-in-One Homeschool March 11, 2017 / 12:07 pm

She’s going to The Pennsylvania Academy of Fine Arts. It’s in Philadelphia and is the oldest art school in the country.

11. autumnburton86 March 11, 2017 / 4:50 pm

Thank you! God knows what He’s doing! I’ve been battling with rather I’m doing enough!! Thank you. You will never know how much you and your work means to my family. We couldn’t do this without you. Thank you for reminding me that letting God have it will always be the right choice. I can’t say thank you enough.

12. Lisa March 12, 2017 / 12:00 am

Did your daughter take the ACE or SAT exam(s)? If so, what prepared her to do well enough in the areas of those exams that she did not spend as much time on or go extensively in to? Were you ever concerned about her being prepared enough to jump through the hoops set by society (e.g. colleges)? I hope that last question makes sense.

• Easy Peasy All-in-One Homeschool March 12, 2017 / 11:53 pm

She didn’t need to for her school. She would have done well in English, but math would have been rough. She was learning as much math as she could. She works every day on it. I just made the decision years back after we were just spending so long every day just getting through the math without her really getting it and her not doing well, that it was pointless to do that. I wanted her to learn. It’s my personal decision to not teach to the test. I know some have their kids practice every day for a couple of years before they take the SAT. I just can’t bring myself to make it that important. It worked out for my daughter spectacularly well. She’ll have to take a math course at her school for her bachelor’s degree, but it’s called “quantitative thinking” and will only have other artists in her class, so they will get her brain. 🙂 I try to keep free from worrying about outside standards.

13. Shannon March 12, 2017 / 6:01 am

Did you limit electronics/game time? My oldest son loves to play video games but he would play all day. He wants to become a professional gamer. While I want to support him in his passion, I do wonder if allowing him to play these games inhibits him. It doesn’t allow him to become bored or be creative.

14. Terri Armstrong March 14, 2017 / 2:45 pm

I am currently using time for learning, but not completely satisfied….have you compated the two and if so, can you tell me your findings. I feel like easy peasy is probably a better fit for my son.

15. Janet March 14, 2017 / 10:21 pm

Thank you. This was a short article that said so much. I’m already feeling more relaxed!

16. Lisa C. March 16, 2017 / 2:20 pm

I stumbled across your article this morning while searching for answers. I have two high schoolers, a middle schooler, and a toddler. School for us has been extremely stressful lately – not joy filled like you talk about – and I am searching for a better way of doing things.
    I have been stressed thinking about my high schoolers having everything they need to be able to get a diploma. I was looking at our state board of education requirements thinking, “we are so behind!” How did you deal with this with your relaxed approach? Also, every college we are looking at requires an ACT/SAT score, so I worry about her not knowing enough to even make it through one of those tests.
    Also, my son, a ninth grader is really struggling in math and he hates it. But his passion is designing cars and wants to be an engineer for a car company. I keep thinking, do you know how much math an engineer major has to take?? So I can’t let him not do math. He has to have so much of it to do what he wants to do. But every day it causes so much stress!
    These are the areas where I just can’t seem to find an answer.

• Easy Peasy All-in-One Homeschool March 16, 2017 / 6:37 pm

My kids have all their courses they need for graduation. They need 3 years of science for instance. My daughter did science, but did science that interested her, not the courses that they offer in schools. Can you son study car design for school? He will come across science and math in his studies. He’ll need to use math as he works on his own designs. He can read about it (English), he could write a blog about what he’s learning and his ideas (English). He can learn the history of it…get it? Art could probably be in there too. You could also look at jobs listings together for jobs he would want, what do they require, what does he need to be qualified. If he wants to get there, then he can choose to do what’s necessary to get there.

17. Kimberly Little March 23, 2017 / 7:38 pm

I love this and thank you for all your hard work in creating such a wonderful program. I do become frustrated though as I read all these great stories about kids getting into the school of their choice and how homeschooled children are so equipped for this and that. I wonder what we do with the kids that don’t want to be achievers, don’t have a plan, or have a plan, but don’t want to do what is necessary to achieve that plan. That is my kid and he has been homeschooled all his life. No matter how much I preach, teach, and inform, each year is a battle. My child starts 9th grade next fall and it will be our 3rd year using EP. He says he enjoys it, which is a plus, but he still hates learning. Makes me wonder if I’m doing something wrong. I am very grateful for EP, I wish I had found it earlier than I had. I guess I’m asking for a little advice and some prayer. Thank you.